Wednesday, May 15, 2013

If the SCOTUS rules against Obamacare, how many billions in profit will insurance companies lose?

Q. Since the law mandates that *everyone* purchase a private insurance policy, that means tens of millions of new customers for the health insurance industry. And since the majority of those new customers are healthy people who don't currently have insurance, because they don't need it, how much in new profits from healthy people will those insurance companies lose?

Do you really think the SCOTUS will vote to deny private corporations from making more in profits?

A. No, the insurance mandate is that everyone participate, not just young people. That is where the new customers come from, mostly famiies and working people. The deal was that if insurance companies used more of their profits toward actual care there would be an individual mandate giving them 30 million customers.


What should my health insurance premium be?
Q. If I am a single, healthy 36 year old non smoker in Florida with a low deductible and good coverage....can you give me some idea of what my premium should be? Because I am worried I may be getting ripped off and my premium is set to go even higher next month. I will soon be paying almost $250 a month... does that sound normal?? Can anyone give me some estimates or ideas? Thanks.

A. If you're not overweight and perfectly healthy, for a male (no maternity benefits, LOL) your age, a good, low/no deductible plan is going to average close to $400 a month.

What you're paying sounds low, unless your deductible is $1000, or you have limited medical benefits.


What if the government could give the the people of America an incentive in living healthy?
Q. I just saw Food Inc. and it had me thinking that most of americans are over their normal weight (including me, that's why this thought.) What if the government could track a way in knowing we live healthy that gives the people who are trying to live healthy a raise in their current employed jobs!
This seems very far fetch I know and I haven't thought it all through. But what do you think, if possible how could you help my theory.

A. Instead of the government - why not simply allow health insurance companies to give 'healthy lifestyle' discounts? (Why should people with healthy lifestyles have to subsidise the costs of medical care for an obese smoker and heavy drinker?)


Why is our group health insurance so much more expensive than getting an individual plan privately?
Q. My husband gets insurance through his work, and they take out $170 a week (he gets paid weekly). So that totals about $730 a month for us and our kids plus maternity benefits. What confuses me is if we were to drop that insurance and get an individual plan with the same company, same deductible, same co-pay, including maternity benefits (exactly the same plan) it would run us about $440 a month. I thought that the whole point of getting on a group plan was that it would be cheaper. I would be okay with it being the same as private but it makes absolutely zero sense to me that it would be almost twice as much... Anybody want to explain? Or are they just screwing us over?

A. OH, no, his employer is probably kicking in ANOTHER $700 or so a month for you.

You are completely not understanding the coverages you're getting, I promise. $440 a month is NOT a realistic price for a family plan with maternity benefits. Not even with a $10,000 deductible per person.

But. With group plans, EVERYONE pays the same price - the men get maternity, the old sick people pay the same as the young healthy people. The POINT of a group plan, is getting coverage for the ENTIRE GROUP, sick or healthy, young or old. It usually does cost more . . .but in most states, you cannot buy private maternity coverage any more, outside of a group.

Go firm up that quote. I think you'll find that the $440 was an INDIVIDUAL price, not a family price, OR, you don't have maternity. Or both.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment